Performing competence
One of the tricks to travelling in India, I've discovered, is hitting the right balance between looking like you know what you're doing and actually doing so. You might think that there's a direct relationship between these two, but in actuality, they're often at odds with one another. Looking like you know what you're doing involves walking briskly, purposefully, eyes on the goal. If, however, you don't yet know what the goal is, then that very singlemindedness makes it almost impossible to discover. So you slow down and look around a little -- and that immediately marks you as someone who needs "help." Sometimes that sweet spot in the middle can be awfully hard to find. I spent my first week in India eyes glued straight ahead, moving before I looked, afraid even to be caught window shopping. Gradually, I've relaxed. For one thing, I've learned that I can say "no" to someone. In fact, I seem to say it an awful lot. I've also gotten more comfortable with the banter that softens a "get away from me, you creep" into a "maybe tomorrow." Or maybe not.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home